Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Obligatory End of Year Post

So, it's December 31st again.

The year in review goes a little something like this:

In 2013, in no specific order, I...

...finally revealed and embraced my inner Geek. Well, I've always embraced it, but I finally admitted it to my husband. I'm a Trekker. I love Star Trek TOS.

...reaffirmed my love of William Shatner. I don't even care what anyone has to say - the man's every bit as awesome as he thinks he is, and even more. He's better than me, you, your brother, your boyfriend, and he horses we all rode in on, and we're lucky to share the same airspace. So there.

...discovered Benedict Cumberbatch and Sherlock, and wondered where they've been all my life. Apparently they've been on Netflix this whole time. Who knew?

...got over my hatred of JJ Abrams. If you understand anything about #1 up there, then you'll understand this.

...started writing the book I've always dreamed of writing - a Star Trek novel.

...joined STARFLEET.

...went back to school for a degree in Medical Billing and Coding.

...saw "Pudding Jones" published and open to rousing success, and even made it onto a couple "best of 2013" lists. PJ was a really difficult story for me to write, one that is dear to my heart, and one that I'm immensely proud of.

...passed two gall stones. I'd rather be flayed open from skull to toes before doing that ever again.

...had my gall bladder and uterus removed. Only the second time I've ever had surgery. The gall bladder removal went okay - was a little difficult, due to the size of my uterus, but nothing overly difficult. The uterus, on the other hand, was extremely difficult, took twice as long as the doctor expected, and I lost almost enough blood to need a transfusion. The doctor removed 3 (three) 5 pound tumors

...saw the finish of my monkey house. Hubby and The Boy and I built it over the summer, just before my surgery. It's the single coolest thing I've ever encountered, and I'm so happy to have it.

...had banana rum cake for the first time, and wondered where it had been all my life.

...cooked a Burkey for Thanksgiving dinner. That's a turkey wrapped in bacon. You're welcome for that idea.

...bought my first commissioned piece of artwork. And my second.

...went to Cracker Barrel for the first time ever, thus beginning what I like to think will be a life-long obsession.

...had a driveway put in.

...got together for lunch with a previous co-worker and friend whom I hadn't seen in a couple years.

...attended the wedding of Caesar and Leo - Mr. and Mr. Sock Monkey.

...wrote a blog about how Star Trek saved my life, got the courage to Tweet it to William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy and post it on Shatner's FB page...and nothing happened. LOL Such is my life.

 ...figured out gluten wasn't the problem in my diet.

...saw a hand doctor and made progress on fixing the constant pain in my hands.

...saw a neurologist and had my neck pain diagnosed - I have a Chiari 1 Malformation.

...had an MRI for the first and second times...and never want to have another. Ever.

...got my youngest son shitfaced at a drag show, in a stunning display of my obvious Parent of the Year qualities.

...mourned the death of A.C. Crispin. :-(

...bought a 1952 Encyclopedia Britanica set with original cabinet.

...saw the end of Noble Romance Publishing and the return of my rights for the Calliph and Mateo stories. Finally.

...made the Dean's List for 1st Semester.

...found no less than three injured birds in my backyard. One lived. We gave the other two Viking funerals.

...saw "Get Him to the Geek" break the Top 100,000 on Amazon. It hit #64,598.

...left myself the following note: "Fix FGOS paragraph." I still have *no* idea what this means. None whatsoever.

...went on my first official wine tour, limo and all.

...discovered I'm officially allergic to cats, dogs, dust mites, a couple forms of mold, Timothy hat/grass, orchard grass, and a couple trees.

...launched the first ever Duckapalooza.

...finally got a massage. Now I get them every other week. Because I can.

...bought a Garman and drove around to places I didn't recognize.

...mourned the passing of Rick McGranahan. :-(

...attended my first comic book convention.

...went to my first Safe Zone meeting - a local support group for GLBTQ youth. Met a reader of m/m romance, too. 

...made edible goodies for the first time for a social function. Everybody loved them!

...bought a bike. 

...sold about 80% of our Halloween decor. We still have 7 big bins full. :-)

...finished the renovation on our basement and guest room.

...discovered True Blood. Yes, have some. 

...convinced my Hubby to try hummus. He no longer trusts my taste in anything. LOL


And that's all I can remember. Not bad. Not bad at all. :-) 


















No comments:

Post a Comment