Saturday, August 11, 2012

RJ Scott's Anniversary Blog Hop

Hi all!! I'm a late addition to RJ's Anniversary Hop!

Here's the link to find all the other authors:  http://rjscottauthor.blogspot.com/2012/08/competition-writer-is-nothing-without.html


So, what have I learned in my time since I've been published?

Well, I technically was published in the middle of 2009. Then, a month later, my publisher, Mystic Moon Press, went bust. Lesson One: Research Thy Publisher. Read all you can about it. Visit Predators and Editors. Ask other people.

After that debacle, I was picked up at the tail end of 2009. My very first publication, "Even Guys Cry" ended up in the "I Do, Two" anthology, which is a charitable anthology. Lesson Two: It's Not Always About the Money. I know some authors will tell you that's the point of publication, but it's not for me. Never has been. Never will be.

So what else have I learned? In a nutshell - Beta readers are helpful, but not always necessary. Trust your gut. Be flexible, but stand firm on the things that you can't compromise on. Just because a publisher is considered one of THE BIG TEN, doesn't mean they'll treat you right, and it doesn't guarantee sales. Listen to criticism, but take negative reviews with a grain of salt. And don't respond to them. Ever. Behave nicely in public. And by "public" I mean Facebook, Twitter, and blogs. People are watching everything you do. EVERYTHING. And readers remember when you call people nasty names online.

All in all? It's been a wonderful ride that I'm thrilled to keep getting in line for!!!

For my giveaway today, I'm offering up your choice of a free pdf of one of my books, which can be found at www.dcjuris.com.

To enter, just leave a comment with your e-mail and the title of the book you'd like to win. That's it!

Good luck!!!


***I write GLBTQ books. These feature m/m, m/m/m, m/m/m/m, f/f, and transgender characters. If winning a book of that type isn't your cup of tea, kindly pass along to the next blog in the hop and leave this space open for someone else!***




14 comments:

  1. You give some very good advice. Some of us in small town America are NOT living in the Dark Ages and do believe that everyone has the right to love who they want and have equal rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to get your book Relearning the Ropes please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your books!!!! Thanks for the post!
    evelynmoly@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your work and have many of your books but I do not have Betrayed...
    Yvette
    yratpatrol@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the contest
    terrilee.byles@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would choose Omarati, please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I loved Where he Belongs!!

    forettarose@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and great advice...I've learned a lot today :)
    Thanks!!

    morris.crissy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your post! Would love to wind "Dream Come True".

    strive4bst at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe...SIMPLY SMUT. [grins] This has been a great hop!

    koozebane(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice DC! Short and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would like Full Circle.
    cvsimpkins@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing! I'd like to enter for a copy of "What the Lady Wants."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to read AdDICKtion. Thanks for participating and sharing!

    tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete